Saturday, August 6, 2011

Railey's Virtual Lemonade Stand


My parents are missionaries for a non-profit medical mission in Kijabe, Kenya.  Every time my parents head to Kenya or send a package to Kenya my precious, now 6 year old, nephew empties out his toy box and his candy collection or he'll draw pictures to send over to his "friends" (that he's never met). 

This morning he saw on the news where an infant (in Georgia) had passed away and his heart was again Broken for his friends in Kenya.  So he emptied out his toys and begged his mommy to let him have a Lemonade Stand and sell his toys to help raise money for his friends so that "they can live and know Jesus".   

After a while of standing on the side of the road and he had only sold one glass, his mommy noticed his broken heart and since we live so far apart we're hosting a Virtual Lemonade Stand, to help Railey's and Our friends.

Oh how I pray to have a precious compassionate heart like my sweet nephew.

If you would like to buy a glass of
Railey's Lemonade
you can visit:
and donate in honor of: Railey's Lemonade Stand

Or you could mail $1.00
in honor of Railey's Lemonade Stand
to: 

BethanyKids
PO Box 1297
Abingdon, VA
24212-1297, USA

Mark 10: 13-16 (NIV)
People were bringing little children to Jesus for him to place his hands on them,
but the disciples rebuked them. When Jesus saw this, he was indignant. He said to them, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. Truly I tell you, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.”
And he took the children in his arms, placed his hands on them and blessed them.

Monday, August 8, 2011 - 10:30pm

I spoke to my sister Melanie that day around 2:30pm. She said that Railey, along with his brother Davis and sister Emma, had started the day at 7am selling his lemonade and toys.  By 2pm he had only made $1. My heart broke for my sweet nephew.

She told me that he wasn't discouraged, he was determined to make a small, 6yr old, difference for his "friends," - "so they can live and Know Jesus".
My sister lives outside of Atlanta and, I'm telling you, this week in Kentucky has been scorching so I know Atlanta has been near 100, if not over, with the amazing Georgia humidity. Mr. Railey was having a great time out there.

However, from this I immediately see two things that DEEPLY convict me.
Railey was persistent. He didn't stop at 10am because it was hot and he had only made $1. He was proud of his dollar and was going to keep on fighting for his second.  Often in ministry I cave as soon as I hit opposition.  Secondly, I see my amazing sister.  Who instead of being annoyed by this extra thing she needs to add to her To-Do list says - Okay! Even though that meant that she was going to spend all day Saturday making Lemonade and supervising her small children, outside, by the road, in that nasty heat. She took his ministering heart and instead of stomping it and being annoyed, she empowered it! Thank you Melanie for making me feel like such a heel. I need a bumper sticker that says, "I cave for heat".




 

    

13 comments:

  1. Beautiful story. You can count on me to give to the virtual lemonade stand!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a touching story. I will also be giving to the virtual lemonade stand but would also like to know if there is anything else I could do to help? I would be honored to share your post with my blog readers if you don't mind. God bless you and everything you are doing.

    http://babystepsthroughthebible.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh. I love this. Living in Australia I can't do the online payment but I have some friends in the US. I might ask them to do it on my behalf.

    I love your description about beauty too.

    Following your blog now. Love this weekend link up. Finding some gold tonight. :)

    Vikki

    ReplyDelete
  4. Megan, that would be awesome! It blesses my heart! :) Thank you!

    Vikki, so sweet of you! You may be able to mail it in. That is so sweet of you thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweetheart. you've raised him well.:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. He has such a sweet heart! I will make a donation today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you michelle! And 4444 yes I have to agree thhat my sis and brother in law are doing an amazing job :) thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Melissa,
    I love this story as in love, love, love this story. Would you consider letting me repost it at my place?

    Drop me an email.
    asullivan12@frontier.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. After reading this, I am overcome with emotion! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a compassionate heart your boy has!! I'm spreading the word about his lemonade stand!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I watched the same stories that Railey did and I too cried, but I didn't think to sell my toys nor have a lemonade stand! I pray that all of our hearts will be softened to cry over the suffering around us and around the globe and that we would be moved to make a change. Thank you, Railey, and thank you, Jesus, for teaching us through our children!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is one of the sweetest things I have ever read in all my time blogging. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete