Thursday, September 1, 2011

Paitlyn and the Whale :)

2 Corinthians 9:7
Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.


I am so blessed by my children and the lessons of the Lord they teach me first hand. My children are a true gift of God and I treasure these tiny precious moments with them.

This morning I gave them their snack.  It was tiny 'Whales crackers. I gave them each a toddler cup full. I asked Jaxson if he would let mommy have a cracker. He looked at me like, "Um, I don't really want to but okay."  He looked over all his crackers to find one that he could part with and finally after much deliberation settled on a puny broken one.  My daughter over heard me ask him and she ran in with beautiful, tiny, slobbery hands and said "Here mommy, Here. You can have my cracker." So she gave it to me and she had so much fun she kept giving and giving. She'd walk off and run back and give me a few more. She wasn't doing it because she expected something in return. She wasn't doing it to prove anything. She wasn't doing it for any other reason than because I had asked and she loved me. She gave until all her crackers were gone.

She looked at me and said, "I sorry mommy, they're all gone." 
(No my daughter isn't quite 2 but that is really how she talks )  I have never before been more happy to refill my childs snacks. If it would have been good for her I would have given her the whole box. When she gave, she didn't realize I was the 'Whale' Owner. I didn't need her 'Whales' I could have had all the Whales I wanted, but she was a cheerful giver.  She gave because she loved me and I had asked.

Dear Lord,
Make my heart like Paitlyn's. Trusting, loving and giving because You ask.  Not out of selfish gain or of selfish withholding.  Teach me to trust You with my tomorrows, and not to worry over my today's!

Your Clay~








Photobucket 

6 comments:

  1. Oh, this was so good. He doesn't need what we have to offer... He just wants us to give ourselves to Him because we love Him. Thanks Melissa, lovely reminder :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melissa - I love this, I love the bit about being the whale owner, and that you didn't need her whales. Like we think we're doing God a favour when we give. Great analogy.
    God bless
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Heidi and Tracy, and thank you for taking the time to comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully said! I love my kids so much, especially in moments like these when they make "the Word become flesh" in my life!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We all love cheerful givers, especially God!:) I love hearing stories like these...our children really have great insight (sometimes):)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your daughter is so sweet and it sounds like you are teaching them wonderful lessons. Love the C.S. Lewis quote on your blog!

    I am a new follower from the Mom Blog Monday Hop. If you have time please follow me at http://messforless.blogspot.com and say hi.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete