Thursday, February 9, 2012

and I Knew He was the One - {Jenifer Metzger}

I am so happy to have my sweet friend Jenifer sharing her love story with us today!






Please Welcome
Jenifer Metzger
from
Sweet Blessings &
Woman to Woman Ministries
to
Beautiful Mommy Feet

.........


This year my best friend, Jeremy, and I will celebrate 15 years of marriage. I cannot even believe I am saying that. In some ways it feels like we have been together forever (in a good way) and in some ways if feels like yesterday. In only two short years I will have been a wife the same number of years I was not a wife, which is a weird feeling. Yes, I know I just told you my age and yes, I know I just told you that I was married at only seventeen.
Let me start with the time I knew he was the one. At a very young age, I had felt the call of God on my life. I knew that I would be the wife of a minister. When Jeremy and I were dating, I told him this. Sometime later he told me that he thought he felt called to be in ministry with children or youth. He said he was still praying about it but that if he realized he was not called to a minister, then he wanted to give me that out. The ‘okay’ to move on to someone who was called to ministry. I knew right then that this was the man I wanted forever and I knew we would someday be in ministry together. Only a few months later, we were married.
Marriage is hard.
Marriage takes work.
When you marry so young, not only do you have to learn how to be a wife, but you are still learning how to be an adult. Then very soon a little blessing comes along and you have to learn how to be a parent.
In the first six years of our marriage we had four children, went through financial struggles, and suffered serious health issues with our daughter. We had many hard times yet many good times.
Humans in general tend to be selfish creatures. When we marry, we have to learn that it is no longer about me. What I want, my needs, my plans, my money. We now have to take someone else’s thoughts, likes and dislikes, schedule, feelings, and traditions into consideration. This is something that fifteen years later, Jeremy and I are still working on.

These days marriage is throw away. People get married with the
plan to divorce at the first sign of problems. Marriage is hardly a few years, let alone forever. Daily I praise God for my husband. My marriage is far from perfect. We have struggles, many of them. We are still learning to mesh our two lives together. But I thank God for a man who has the physical ability and desire to take care of his family, wants to be an active part in his children’s lives, loves to make me smile and desires to please God.
If you are married, I greatly encourage you to pray for your husband daily but to also pray that God would help you be the wife He has called you to be. Be slow to anger and quick to forgive. Express your love and appreciation for your husband each and every day. If you are not yet married, pray this prayer anyway. So that when you do find the right man that you would be the woman God wants you to be.

Bio:
Jenifer is the wife to Jeremy, mother to four blessings from Heaven that she homeschools, founder and co-leader of Woman to Woman Ministries and writer at Sweet Blessings. She is an ordinary woman learning to say yes to God. You can find her at www.jenifermetzger.org









1 comment: