Saturday, February 11, 2012

Back in the Day

I was so cool in my
permed hair and
multi colored spandex!
I was just in my kitchen doing the "Dishes Dance" with my IPod and this song came on that I had never heard, but it was cracking me up - Back in the Day by KJ-52.  Talking about how cool we were as teenagers. How hot we thought we were in all the latest styles. Boyfriend/girlfriend goofy phone calls. Etc.

It caused me to reflect back on all the things I thought were Big Deals. Like the way I looked, who I hung out with, the break ups, boyfriend status and so on.  How petty I was and how small my world was. So many things I wish I knew then. So many things I wish I could go back and gently tell that little girl, "Quit worrying over who you're going to marry. God's going to take care of that. Don't worry over these little disputes between friends, it will pan out, and if it doesn't - Life Goes On!  Enjoy these Days! Because even though this is all you know for the moment and it's hard to see past that, this time is fleeting and you will never get it back!"

It's 10 yrs later and I still have worries, they're much different than they were. I still have disputes with friends.  I still have unanswered questions, I still have tiny, petty everyday things that consume my thoughts and take me away from what's important. 

Which leads me to believe that I will have a 40yr old me wanting to come back to this young mother and say: "It's going to work out! Love those babies and Trust God! When you try to fix it in your own strength you just make it worse. So Love those babies and your husband and leave the rest alone! Enjoy these Days! Because even though this is all you know for the moment and it's hard to see past that, this time is fleeting and you will never get it back!"
  • What were some of your worries as a teen?
  • What are some of your worries now?
  • What do you think you will be thinking about today's concerns 10yrs from now?
James 4:14
 Yet you do not know what tomorrow will bring. What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment