Monday, May 14, 2012

Beautiful Feet

For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved. As Scripture says, “Anyone who believes in him will never be put to shame.” For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile —the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him,  for, “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.” 
How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them?  And how can anyone preach unless they are sent?

As it is written: “How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!”
-Romans 10:10-15

This morning I was listening to this song, and I am so struck by it. I wonder if we have an enormous amount of Christians that think, "Hey, Lord, you send me to India (or insert your destination) and I will Go. I will preach Your good news.  Oh wait, but I can't go Lord because I don't have the finances....sorry. Maybe next time." 

But what I can't get over is, Why am I not being Missional WHERE I AM!  How dare I be so audacious to think, "Lord, You send me somewhere that no one knows me, where I can pretend to be this Christian that has it all together and I will tell them how they can have it all together too."  How dare I think that I could live my life any differently in a different location.  If I'm not sharing the gospel - HERE- I doubt I will be comfortable enough with it to share the gospel -there.

If I feel that the Lord is telling me to "GO" - Why am I wasting so many opportunities to "GO" here.
  • Because I don't know how?
On a Mission Trip you generally have a leader that gives you organized activities, these activities sometimes present the opportunity to share the gospel.  That is do-able.

Do not get me wrong - I am not knocking Mission Trips.  My life and heart have been dramatically changed by Mission Trips, but my concern is that outside of that or Vacation Bible School, we are Christians who do not know how to share our faith in our daily setting.  


Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.
“I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from ME you can do nothing.

-John 15:4-5






My concern is that we train people how to follow these simple steps, that someone magically created and not how to recognize the Holy Spirit's prompting. We teach people how to trust us, over how to seek Him.


How can I serve the Lord if I don't know how to follow Him?

Following God is not a Big Yes at one moment. Meaning God doesn't usually speak to your heart and say "Jim Bob, I want you to go down to 3rd street, say "Hulla Ballew" and 19,000 people will come to know me." 

Following God is learning how to remain in Him, moment by moment. It's not a "Yes Lord, now You tell me: who, what, where, when and why...Oooh and if You could give me some sort of time table - that'd be great. I'll get these things checked off for You.  Glad to be of service." 

He says Follow ME "I (not My holy to-do list) will make you Fishers of men." 

Kind of like taking a road trip with a friend, I'm in the drivers seat, not knowing the destination, as He gives me turn by turn directions - Will I trust His every turn and direction or do I have more faith in the map?

How dare we claim to be following Christ, when we have yet to learn how to Remain in Him?  How can we say that we are serving Him, when we don't know how to follow or seek Him?

I am married to my husband, and I love finding ways to surprise him and make him feel loved. The best way to do that is by getting to know him.  If I were to surprise him by waking up early to make him a pot of coffee, even though he would probably smile and appreciate the effort, he would not be pleased because he hates coffee.  We can't do that for God either.  How can I please Him without getting to know Him? 

So when I say, "I will Go!"  Will I "Go" - here, as well as there? Will I come up with excuses?  Will I seek to Know Him, Remain in Him, Follow Him - moment by moment? 



His Clay,

Melissa

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful! The Lord has been really speaking to me on this matter lately. Thank-you for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Candice: I Love it when that happens! So glad to hear that God is working on both of us in the same way :)

    Ashley: Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Melissa! I want God to use me where I am and each and every day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful post! Glad I found your blog through twitter. God bless :)

    ReplyDelete